Every time the heating system started up, it was spreading harmful toxins into my breathing air
When the weather first turned chilly last fall, I started to have some health problems. At first, my symptoms were minor. I’d wake up in the morning with a headache or a sore throat. These issues would typically go away throughout the day. It never occurred to me that this was because I was only running the heating system at night. Since I work from home, I spend a lot of my time in the house. I sometimes go an entire week without leaving the house. When the outside temperature is down to twenty below zero with several feet of snow on the ground, I’m happy to remain safely at home. However, there were problems with indoor air quality. I noticed that I was forced to dust and vacuum more often but didn’t think too much about it. My health issues steadily got worse. I suffered from flu-like symptoms. I tried over-the-counter medication and taking vitamins. I made sure to get a complete night’s sleep and improved my diet. I went to see a doctor. Nothing helped. It was my mom who mentioned the possibility that the furnace was making me sick. Although I was skeptical, I set up an appointment with a local HVAC contractor. The HVAC contractor took the furnace apart and showed me the inner workings. There was an alarming buildup of dust and other debris. Every time the heating system started up, it was spreading harmful toxins into my breathing air. The contractor recommended a complete duct cleaning and full maintenance of the furnace.